To AFM Locals and Player Conferences:
The following issue of Pension Fund Notes will be sent shortly to AFM-EPF participants that have an email address on file with the Fund Office.
Pension Relief Bill Advances in Congress
Tell Your U.S. Senators and The White House to Support It!
Today, the U.S. House of Representatives is expected to vote on the COVID-19 relief package, which includes the Butch Lewis Emergency Pension Plan Relief Act of 2021.
As we discussed in a previous issue of Pension Fund Notes, this legislation would provide relief to struggling multiemployer pension plans, including the AFM-EPF. On its face, it appears that this relief would help address the AFM-EPF’s financial challenges for decades without the need for benefit reductions. The Plan actuaries are working to complete a thorough analysis of the bill’s precise impact.
If the actuaries’ analysis confirms our current understanding – and if the final bill passes without changes that would undermine its impact – the Trustees plan to withdraw our pending application to reduce benefits under the Multiemployer Pension Reform Act.
The Senate is expected to vote on the COVID relief package next week. Here’s what you can do right now:
- Click here to go to the AFM-EPF website for more information and suggestions about what to say to your elected officials.
- Go to Govtrack.us and select your state to identify your two U.S. Senators.
- Call the U.S. Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121. A switchboard operator will connect you with the Senate office you request. You will either reach a staff member or be asked to leave a voicemail.
- Click here to email your U.S. Senators.
- Next, call The White House comment line at 202-456-1111.
- Go to WhiteHouse.gov/contact to send a comment by email.
We will continue to keep you updated as this crucial legislation moves through the legislative process.